What do the best authors know that you don’t?
J.K. Rowling doesn’t have to write a book proposal.
Stephen King doesn’t bother with query letters.
The world’s best writers aren’t worried about marketing. They’re just concerned with writing.
What’s the difference between them and you? They’ve built a platform, and now the gatekeepers are coming to them.
Wouldn’t that be great, if that could happen to you? Maybe it can.
3 tools that will change your writing career
The difference between writers who’ve made it and those still struggling is not talent. It’s platform. Influence. They have the authority others are trying to get.
If you’ve been trying to get noticed by a publisher and keep beating your head against the wall, there’s hope. The trick is to not over-promote and try to sell yourself like a used car salesman. No, it’s the opposite: Stop pitching, start building.
Most writers hate selling themselves. They just want to do what they were meant to do: write. There are three tools every writer needs to get published:
- A platform
- A personal brand
- Channels of connection
With these three tools, once you have them, you will forever change your writing career. You won’t ever have to pitch your writing and will cause the gatekeepers to come to you.
How do you do it?
- Build a platform that will cause publishers to come find you.
- Create a memorable personal brand.
- Connect with people online and offline who will help you succeed.
- Start your career with writing in magazines.
- Stop waiting and start creating.
If you do these things, you will succeed — eventually. It may take months, or it may take years. But if you do the work, you’ll see the results.
This was how I was able to get a book contract without having to write a single proposal. It’s also the reason magazines routinely ask me for content without my having to submit a query letter.
What’re you waiting for? Start building your platform today.
Your most burning questions — answered
Every month, I get hundreds of questions about writing, blogging, and getting published emailed to me. I do my best to keep up, but it’s impossible.
I recommend two resources (depending on how in-depth you want to go):
- The Writer’s Studio. I put together this program for writers wanting to get started with building a platform and taking the first steps towards getting published. It includes over an hour of exclusive content, plus an eBook and six writing exercises. It’s short, simple, and affordable. Click here to find out more.
- Get Published. This 21-part audio course from Michael Hyatt is quite simply the best program I’ve seen on the process of getting published. You’ll learn the ins and outs of the industry, why your mindset matters, what it takes to get noticed, and a whole lot more. It’s thorough and easy-to-follow, and I highly recommend it for people who are serious about becoming an author. Find out more.
Are you ready to get published? The world is waiting to hear your words.