I often hear from writers about the challenge of sharing their message with others, and it’s probably not what you think. Their problem is not sharing their words with the world. All of us have countless ways to promote our work. The challenge they face is deciding which medium to focus upon.
Facebook is currently the largest social media network in the world, and arguably the most influential. To help people better connect with each other, they’ve recently doubled-down their efforts on Facebook Live.
Facebook Live enables you to broadcast a live video to your friends and followers and interact with them in real time. With the growing popularity of watching videos, Facebook Live boasts a tremendous opportunity to engage your audience and expand your reach. But is it a good medium for writers to use?
This week on The Portfolio Life, Andy Traub and I talk about Facebook Live and whether writers should bother with using it to share their message with others.
Listen in as we talk through using Facebook Live, the best practices we’ve learned so far, and practical steps you can take today to start using the platform.
Listen to the podcast
To listen to the show, click the player below. (If you are reading this via email or RSS, please click here.)
In this episode, Andy and I discuss:
- If Facebook Live is a distraction for writers.
- How to think about new technology for sharing your message.
- Developing complementary skills to support your writing career.
- Overcoming your hesitation to speak live.
- The best practices we’ve learned from using Facebook Live.
- Three things to consider before using new technology and mediums to share your work.
Quotes and takeaways
- There’s more to being a writer than writing. You need to become the master of complementary skills.
- The challenge for a writer is that you can’t just write; you have to get your work out there.
- Growth doesn’t happen in your comfort zone.
- You're never too old to learn something new if you’re willing to apply yourself and find the right teacher.
- Jeff’s Facebook Live videos from The Art of Work book study.
- The Short Guide to Launching a Self-Hosted Blog in 8 Minutes or Less [Screencast].
- Download the full interview transcript here.
Are you going to try Facebook Live? Have you used it before? If so, did you have a good or bad experience? Share in the comments.