Becoming a writer begins with a simple but important belief: You are a writer; you just need to write. In You Are a Writer, I share my own story of self-doubt and what it took for me to become a professional writer — and how you can follow the same path.
The book is one part inspiration, full of stories and lessons learned about the craft, and one part writer’s manual, full of practical steps for improving your writing, getting published in magazines, and building a platform that puts you in charge.
The simple lessons I learned and share here were game-changers for me, and I hope they are for you, too.
This is a book about what it takes to be a writer in the 21st Century. You will learn the importance of passion and discipline and how to show up every day to do the work. Here’s what else you’ll learn:
- How to transition from wanting to be a writer to actually being one
- What “good” writing is (and isn’t)
- How to stop waiting to be picked and finally choose yourself
- What it takes to build a platform
- Why authors need to brand themselves (and how to do it)
- Tips for freelancing, guest blogging, and getting published in magazines
- Different ways to network with other writers, artists, and influencers
- The importance of blogging and social media and how to use it well to find more readers and fans of your writing
You Are a Writer will help you fall back in love with writing and build an audience who shares your love. It’s about living the dream of a life dedicated to words. And it all begins with you.
Table of Contents
Part 1: Writing
- Claiming the Title
- Writers Write
- The Myth of Good
- It Gets Tough
Part 2: Getting Read
- Three Tools Every Writer Needs
- You Need a Platform
- Your Brand is You
- Channels of Connection
Part 3: Taking Action
- Getting Started
- Before Your First Book
- When the Pitching Ends
What others are saying
In You Are a Writer, Jeff Goins shares the truth about writing. He provides the tools and insights you need to build your platform, develop an audience, and make meaningful connections. No writer should embark on his or her writing journey without reading this first!
–Michael Hyatt | Author, Platform: Get Noticed in a Noisy World
Writers! Read this by Jeff Goins. Seriously. Go.
–Carrie Wilkerson | Author, The Barefoot Executive