I just read a great post in Lifehacker about how to “manage up”. It was convicting, to say the least.
Here are the five basic steps for managing up:
1) Train your boss to meet with you regularly.
2) Come to every meeting with a detailed agenda.
3) Keep a pulse on your boss's changing priorities.
4) Anticipate problems and offer solutions.
5) Always be prepared to give status reports on your project at any time.
I read those and thought, “Crap…”
I think that I do #4 fairly well, but the rest of those I could stand to grow in. As a more entrepreneurial employee in a pretty innovative organization, I've found that if I don't bring the agenda, that a lot will be missed. As an occasional freelancer, I've also found these to be important practices (particularly being able to give status reports) to clients.
What about you? Do you “manage up”? How can you grow in it?