Welcome, NRB attendee!
I'm guessing you found this page because you just saw me speak at NRB or someone you know shared this with you (which is great!). Regardless, welcome.
Thanks for taking the time to visit my blog. Below you'll find more info about me, where you can connect with me on the web, slides from my talk, and some other opportunities to get free stuff.
Everyone likes free stuff, right? That's what I thought. 😉
A little more about me
My name's Jeff Goins, and this is my blog. So you're on my territory (whether you like it or not). Here are a few things about me:
- I'm the communications director for Adventures in Missions (a nonprofit organization in Georgia).
- I'm a new dad and a not-so-new husband (though I still act like an amateur, sometimes).
- I'm the author of a book called, Wrecked, which you can find more about here.
- I write, speak, and play around on the Internet in my free time.
- My dream is to use words to change lives.
- I LOVE homemade guacamole.
My talk: “3 Minutes of Truth”
My talk at NRB was about how to effectively connect with and communicate with today's audience. In the Information Age, distractions abound. So what do you, someone who has an important message to share, do? Tell more remarkable stories.
Here are three keys to telling better stories that spread:
- Simplicity: Simple stories are memorable.
- Surprise: Unexpected stories captivate attention.
- Subjective: Personal accounts connect with an audience.
And here are those interesting stats (from the Associated Press):
- The average attention span in 2012: 8 seconds
- The average attention span in 2000: 12 seconds
- The average attention span of a gold fish: 9 seconds
- Percent of teens who forget major details of close friends and relatives: 25 %
- Percent of people who forget their own birthdays from time to time: 7 %
- Average number of times per hour an office worker checks their email inbox: 30
- Average length watched of a single internet video: 2.7 minutes
Connect with me
I'd love to hear from you. What's your dream? What are you passionate about? How can I help you? Here's how you can reach me:
Don't miss a thing from Goinswriter.com! Get regular email updates delivered straight to your inbox by signing up below. I will never sell, trade, spam, or do anything sleazy with your information.
Example of a viral video (there's more to it than meets the eye)
Below is a video of Maneesh Sethi getting slapped in the face. It's been viewed over 200,000 times. What makes this six-second video so interesting? The story behind it. He hired a woman on CraigsList to watch him work all day and, if she caught him wasting time, to slap him.