Who doesn't want to be an overnight success? It seems like less work and more fun. But nothing could be further from the truth. Every big break is preceded by years of practice.
When life throws you a curveball, it can derail more than your plan. Getting injured or sick can ruin a career. Losing your job can mess with your sense of self, making you reevaluate everything. But sometimes, in the crucible of these circumstances, we find our true calling.
This week's guest on The Portfolio Life was fired for not hitting his sales numbers and started freelance writing to make ends meet. Two book deals, multiple speaking gigs, and hundreds of blog posts later, life for Jackie Bledsoe looks very different.
But it didn't happen overnight.
Listen in as Jackie and I talk about his journey from the trenches, writing 50 blog posts a month, and discovering your unique offering to the world.
Listen to the podcast
To listen to the show, click the player below (If you’re reading this via email, please click here).
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
In this episode, Jackie and I discuss:
- Why you don't need a big email list to be successful
- Is it possible to make a living blogging?
- Dealing with feelings of inadequacy as a writer
- Letting your loved ones point you in the right direction
- Reaching your maximum capacity and learning to say no
- Knowing who your audience is and what they need from you
- The value of answering questions people are asking Google
- How to get influencers to invest in you
Quotes and takeaways
- Give your message a year to mature and grow before moving onto the next thing.
- “Writers doubt themselves more than any profession.” –Jackie Bledsoe
- “You need multiple streams of income to make it as a writer.” –Jackie Bledsoe
- “It's fulfilling when you're able to help other people get over the humps you were struggling with.” –Jackie Bledsoe
[share-quote author=”Jackie Bledsoe” via=”JeffGoins]You have something unique to offer. Offer it to the best of your ability.
- The 7 Rings of Marriage by Jackie Bledsoe
- Tribe Conference (Jackie is a speaker this year!)
- Jackie's reflection on his Member Makeover with Platform University
- 25 Things Your Wife Will Love to Hear You Say
- Real Artists Don't Starve
What would an overnight success look like for you? What are you doing now to get there? Share in the comments