You've got a message worth hearing. But maybe your audience isn't that big — or maybe it's nonexistent. So what's the best way to get your words heard?
Should you build your own platform or should you share your work in places where the traffic is already established? In this episode of The Portfolio Life, my co-host Andy Traub and I talk about the pros and cons of using Medium.
Medium is an open source publishing powerhouse. They have a huge audience and generate a ton of traffic — millions of visitors each month. Even the President of the United States pre-released the State of the Union Address on Medium.
And if the goal is to get our message heard, should we be publishing our words on Medium? Listen in as I share my thoughts on the subject and some secrets on how I've been using this growing content network.
Listen to the podcast
To listen to the show, click the player below. (If you’re reading this via email, click here).
In this episode we discuss:
- The value of publishing to Medium
- How I use and recommend using Medium
- The dangers of not having your own platform
- Two things every writer needs to have
- Whether or not it's okay to use re-published content for Medium
- Why I propose a blend of the two approaches in which you use other networks to drive more traffic to your own online platform
- What this all means for you
- What platishers, like Medium, mean for unknown writers by Aileen Gallagher
- The Truth About Going Viral (my ironically viral post on Medium)
- The Art of Work Essay Collection (my exclusive series published to Medium to promote my latest book)
- How to set up a self-hosted blog in 8 minutes
- Obama's State of the Union Address
- The Myth of the Lone Genius by Walter Isaacson
I hope you enjoyed this week's episode. If you know someone who would benefit from it, feel free to download and share it. Also, we'd appreciate it if you would leave a review on iTunes.
Oh, and if you're interested in finding your life's work, check out my new podcast.
What do you think about using other platforms, like Medium? Share in the comments.